Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Things to Do on Westham Island: Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary

To fully support my niece's elementary school I bought a Values Entertainment coupon book which I browse through regularly.  I don't use many of the coupons but I love browsing the book to see if there's anything new that I haven't been to and looks interesting.  That is where I found the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary on the Fraser River estuary on Westham Island. 
Finding someone who was interested in bird watching was the difficult part.  It's easy to get friends interested in dining at a new restaurant, but no takers on the bird sanctuary until I asked my friend S who surprisingly told me that it was one of her favourite places to visit.  Wow!  That's the best when you find someone who is excited for a new adventure (well, new for me).

We went one late sunny Sunday afternoon and it was peaceful.  We were able to walk through the marshlands and climb the iron tower for the view and see different birds including blue herons, red winged blackbirds, purple martin to name a few that impressed me.  It was peaceful once you got walking along the trails and away from the crowds feeding the ducks.  Beautiful landscapes that you forget that you are less than an hour away from the city. 


Even though we spent a few hours there, it felt like an entire day out in the country.  It's a great escape that's close to home.  Almost free entrance too.  Adults are $5 each and with your coupon the Entertainment Values book you get 2 for 1. We have two more coupons to venture out there again.  Next time I will bring extra cash and make a day of it so we have time to visit the Westham Island Estate Winery and Westham Island Herb Farm which are both on the way to the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary.  I love being a tourist in my own town and enjoying the natural beauty of B.C.

No comments: