Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Vancouver Restaurant: Mochikas Peruvian Cafe

In a very rare location in an auto spa on 1696 West 5th Avenue (corner of Pine & 5th) lives the quaint Mochikas Peruvian Cafe.  On my bus ride to the unknown Vancouver restaurant I went on Twitter to find out that the Groupon of the day was for the same place.  The limited coupons sold out by the time I reached the restaurant.  Be prepared because there are 250 coupon holders out there who will be heading over to the Peruvian Cafe.   After my first experience there, I know why people would go back!     


Our appetizer was Ceviche - fresh fish infused with lime juice and spices.  The fish pieces were fresh, some even slightly frozen, and the lime juice infusion gave it the distinct tang and unique flavour.  The pieces were large and nicely paired with corn and sweet potatoes. 

Next we continued the Peruvian journey with the Chupe de Mariscos - spicy seafood chowder filled with prawns, mussels, squid in a curry like soup.   It has a an intriguing mix of cheese and rice in the chowder as well.  Amazing aromas and spices that are flavourful to the last drop.
Our main dish for our meal was the seafood rice called Arroz con Mariscos.  It's filled again with generous portions of seafood including scallops, octopus, shrimp, mussels, and calimari.  If you enjoy seafood, this combination is a seafood lover's delight. 
The Mochikas Peruvian Cafe Menu has more dishes and I would return so I could try some of the other dishes.  From my first experience, it's definitely a dining experience worth trying.  Everything I ate was absolutely delicious.

No comments: