Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Countdown to 40! My Card Game Obsession

This year I'm missing out on an advent calendar so my blog posts are my countdown to 40!  29 Days til my Birthday!

My latest obsession are board games and card games.  I work with international students from different countries and my latest activity was playing "Speed Scrabble" during a lunch hour.  It was so much fun that I was inspired to do more board game or card game themed activities.

The dilemma was the cost of the games.  I luckily found the scrabble games that someone was throwing away and freecycled them.  I've tossed around the idea of a Chess Tournament or UNO Challenge.  New board games can range anywhere from $10 - $20 per game.  I decided that I would wait to see if I could borrow, beg, or  shop at thrift stores to find games.  Another challenge I had was that students have busy lives and short attention spans so I wanted games that could be played in 30-45 minutes.

Then one day my husband brought home MONOPOLY DEAL Card Game.  I looked at the box and couldn't believe that the average play time was 15 minutes for 2-6 players.  We played and it was easy to learn.  It has good mix of strategy and chance.  Card games are much more affordable at less than $10 each.  I may be borrowing this game to play during a Card Game theme afternoon with the students.  MONOPOLY Deal Card Game would go well with UNO Card Game and Skip Bo Card Game.



No comments: