Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Rice Lake Hike

Summer has arrived!  The weather has been sunny and lovely for hiking.  An comfortable and easy hike in North Vancouver would be the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Rice Lake.  Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge is transit friendly even on Sundays.  I took the bus #229 Lynn Canyon from Lonsdale Quay Seabus.  The bus driver tells you where the stop is, how to walk there, and the bus times to return.  Quite amazing service that it's hard to get lost.

There is a cafe and washrooms at the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge before you start your hike across the suspension bridge and to Rice Lake.  Every time I come here, I fight my fear of heights and walk across the bridge holding on tight to both sides of the ropes.  My heart beats again once I'm safely on the other side.  This is why I never have photos of the falls and the suspension bridge itself.

The trails are well marked and even though I wore hiking boots, my fellow companions were hiking with flip flops and one was even with a twisted ankle.  So perhaps "walk in the forest" would be a better term for this "hike."

Nature surrounds you with the trees and sounds of the river.  You can walk by the river and the pool where some are brave enough to go swimming, but not this early in the year.  Then you walk up a set of stairs to head towards Rice Lake.

Rice Lake is beautiful.  It's a peaceful walk around the lake a lot of different points where you can stop to enjoy the view and take a break.  There's a viewpoint on a dock to see this view below in the picture.  Beautiful.  Rare to find that's accessible by public transit.

Now what surprised me even more was that from Rice Lake, you can actually access the road again and catch a bus #228 Lonsdale Quay.  I love the ease of the North Vancouver buses that take you to the seabus.  When I arrived back from my hike, I still had the whole afternoon to explore downtown Vancouver.  The fresh air at Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Rice Lake was just what I needed to be refreshed for the rest of the day.

No comments: